Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Endless White




One afternoon I heard endless white by Flying Lotus. I thought instantly of Agnes Martin. And the way I feel about her. End l e s s white. When I sew embroideries I reference her work. "Reinterpreting."

I first learned about her during my peak obsession with tape. All kinds of tape, all kinds of art made of tape. Books, surfaces, quilting and layering. I think you can see why my interest in tape would lead me to love her work. I love that it's so organized, painstaking, and - if you want it to be- referential.

There used to be a wall-sized painting installed near the entrance to the Philip's Collection in Washington D.C. The paint was applied in a layered, tape-like effect. You couldn't tell what it was made of until you were within inches. Just Within inches ... I put a pink heart-shaped balloon in front of the painting, took a polaroid, and got in trouble. You couldn't miss it.

Agnes Martin was a loner. Sometimes I'm afraid to admit that I'm a bit of a loner myself, but then I realize what a good time I am having and say 'f**k it.' I like to think we'd have a lot in common.

"My paintings are not about what is seen. They are about what is
known forever in the mind."
Agnes Martin .

No comments: